Thursday 3 January 2013

Crossbreeds, Mutts and Designer Dogs... What`s the difference?


I have been asked before why I call my dog a Crossbreed when he is a Designer Dog Westillon, and why I playfully nickname him "Bailey the Mutt". Hope this helps.

Crossbreed- Tends to be a mix of 2 breeds such as Labrador X GSD for example.  Bailey is a crossbreed because he is a Westie X Pap

Mutt- Normally a dog of unknown crosses, but many use it to describe any dog, although the dog is not normally pedigree. Therefore Bailey could also be considered a Mutt.

Designer Dog- A fancy made up breed name for crossbreeds. They are not recognised by the KC. It is normally made by combining 2 breed names together. For example LABRADor pOODLE= Labradoodle
WEST highland terrier papILLION= Westillion. CAVAlier king charles spaniel biCHON= Cavachon SPRinger spaniel cOCKER spaniel= Sprocker. Get the idea?

My opinion: When asked Bailey`s breed I say "Westie X Pappillion" In my eyes he is a crossbreed to be specific or just a plain old Mutt. I do not like the term "Westillon" In my opinion it is trying to make him out something he is not. (that is a pedigree dog, why pretend?)

Ultimately Crossbreeds, Mutts and DD`s all mean the same thing.. A dog which is not pedigree.

Crosses, Mutts and "Designer Dogs" all can make great pets and can combine traits of two breeds or more together. The beauty of Mutt`s is you never know how they will turn out, or maybe that`s a con. You can even show Mutt`s now. In UK there is a thing called "Scruffts" for crosses!
As much as I love Mutt`s any dog after Bailey will not be a Mutt since I want to do showing with ideally Golden Retrievers. But Mutt`s rule and have the ability to make amazing pets!

One word of caution... You make experience some negativy towards Mutts, do not be upset, walk proud and tell everyone your dog is a Mutt and your proud of it!


6 comments:

  1. That is one of the best ever posts I have ever seen about the DD issue .... Bailey is gorgeous, as is every dog, whatever their breed and whether they're a pedigree or mutt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective. And one I tend to agree with.

    Obviously, the moniker "designer breed" is a cross between capitalist marketing shtick and cheese cornball creativity found in many dog lovers. The term mutt is a pejorative in many parts and nobody wants to spend thousands on a mutt or try to sell a mutt for thousands.

    Where I do slightly differ and think there is a difference worthy of distinction (and I may be in the minority) is that "designer dog" connotes to me that the parents are both purebred whereas a simple crossbreed doesn't necessarily imply to me that both parents are pure.

    Kristy
    PomskyHQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I think my dog Buddy is Baileys brother. He was born 29.11.15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm Bailey's owner, sorry, not been on for a long time. Bailey was born October 17th 2012. Where about in the country did you get Buddy from?

      Delete
  4. If you send me your email address I send you a photo of Buddy, they are so alike.

    ReplyDelete